BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Wednesday musings

My article on the Azkals came out in the December 25, 2010 issue of the Philippines Free Press (Hubert Webb is on the cover). In the issue before that (with PNoy on the cover, there was a letter to the editor regarding my story on Manny Pacquiao's destruction of Antonio Margarito. My dad has those issues of the Free Press with the 1950s Ateneo Blue Eagles on the cover and reading those old copies was my introduction to this magazine. I began contributing stories on Manny Pacquiao's fights to the mag the other year. Since then, I've also submitted pieces on bands, global warming, and on national politics to the mag. When I began contributing to the Philippine Daily Inquirer (feature writing) after college, I did so to earn extra pay while working as a copywriter in an ad agency. It was only when I returned in 2006 that I began to write professionally having written for FHM, Maxim, Men's Health, Homestyle, Tower Sports NBA, and a bunch of others. I'll be chipping in stuff in UNO Mag next year. As you can see, it isn't just sports. I once did a couple of investigative pieces for a former senator and some research for a well-known columnist of a top broadsheet (who I will not mention). Regarding the letter in Free Press, it's always nice to get feedback (whether they liked it or not) because it helps me in my craft.


In the picture below, it's me trying to get my damn dog interested in college hoops. obviously, she wasn't interested. Bwahahaha. Have my copies of the championship issue of Rebound. It should be in the stores this January. I totally enjoy writing for this mag not just because I helped start it with some really good friends but also because seeing how we are evolving as a publication. I'd say that this is our best to date. Great stuff here (shameless plug). Looking forward to our Year Three.


Took a screen shot of Arsenal midfielder Francesc Fabregas' twitter account where he mentioned the Suzuki Cup finals. Indonesian left winger Oktovanius Maniani also retweeted one of my tweets. Cool, ain't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment