BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Friday, December 19, 2008

A Must See


My friend Martin David told me about the two-hour HBO Special Pacquiao-De La Hoya 24/7 pre-fight documentary and it's only today that I watched the DVD of it. Filmed in HD, it's a fascinating documentary of the two fighters. The narration by Liev Schreiber is excellent as he keeps it even-keeled; a perfect and unobtrusive observer to both parties as they prepared for the fight of their career. The writing (Aaron Cohen take a bow), cinematography, editing, pacing, and the music is a great piece of work.

I'm left wishing and dreaming of doing something similar. A couple of years ago, I wrote, co-produced, and co-directed a boxing special for Solar Sports titled Glory Road. I enjoyed doing that but that is light years away from the HBO production.

Manny Pacquiao wearing a Celtics shirt. Mark Walhberg and Mickey Rourke as huge Pacquiao fans! Holey Moley, Bubba! De La Hoya training assistant Joe Chavez drinking Heineken! Bernard Hopkins in the house.

You should all watch it.

The other great documentary I've seen this year was the Redeem Team's journey to Beijing. That was something altogether different. Man, I live for this kinda stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment